My name is Anthony Bonkoski
I've been obsessed with computers since first discovering them as an 8 year-old. And I've been programming them now for >25 years with great thanks to the Monroe County Michigan Public Library that lent me a book on The C Programming Language at age 10 to kick-start this great journey. And great thanks to the University of Michigan for helping me know what I don't know. And finally a huge thanks to Kevin Bowers (talk and talk and talk) for challenging me by example to be the best engineer I can be.
Until the end of 2022, I worked in Quantitative Finance (HFT) building large-scale high-performance distributed systems to power trading strategy research. I started an R&D Team known as SCALE (Super Computer Acceleration and Large-scale Engineering) at a firm called Jump Trading LLC. In that role, I built many large systems that I'm very proud of, but sadly, that work is confidential so I cannot speak about it publicly.
Previously, I worked as a Software Architect at a fabulous company called SkySpecs that builds self-flying drones to inspect wind-turbines in the Alternative Energy space. They're still doing awesome work so please do check them out!
Currently, I'm taking a break from professional work and spending more time enjoying life and writing!
Some specific sub-interests of mine (updated 2023):
- Low-level Programming: C, C++, Rust, Assembly, Computer Architecture.
- Distributed Systems: Large-scale Parallel I/O Systems for HPC / Supercomputing
- Lockfree Datastructures: Generally for high-parallelism kernel-bypass messaging
- Reverse-engineering: Security analysis, old video game re-implementations from raw machine-code, deobfuscation, etc
- Finite-field arithmetic: GF(2^n) fields with applications to coding theory, data-resiliency, hashing techniches, etc
- Real Analysis and Probability Theory: Math as a second language => Better engineering
- Long-Distance Running: Marathon+ distances, Zen via physical exertion, challenge thyself
- Long-Distance Cycling: Feels good to go fast (in the summer)
- Skiing: Feels good to go fast (in the winter)
- Rock Climbing: Because I don't live a dangerous enough life already..
I tend to work on absurdist toy projects, you may enjoy:
- Email: [email protected]
- Github: https://github.com/xorvoid
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anthony-bonkoski-2563a158
- Abstract Algebra: Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good
- 2023 October 31 | Random
- 2023 August 09 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (06): Implementing GF(p^k)
- 2023 August 08 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (05): Polynomial Fields GF(p^k)
- 2023 August 07 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (04): Polynomial Arithmetic
- 2023 August 03 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (03): Implementing GF(p)
- 2023 August 01 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (02): Field Theory
- 2023 August 01 | RAGBRAI L
- 2023 July 17 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (01): Group Theory
- 2023 July 17 | Learn you Galois Fields for Great Good (00): Introduction
- 2023 June 07 | Milk and Cookies: An Abstract Algebra
- 2023 May 27 | ChatGPT: A Mental Model
- 2023 May 24 | SectorC: A C Compiler in 512 bytes
- 2023 May 11 | Dime Time
- 2023 April 28 | Obfuscated Tiny C Compiler: Deobfuscated
- 2023 April 20 | I'm Too Old for Broken Builds
- 2023 April 20 | Lockfree Programming: A Mental Model